Friday 8 August 2014

Ugly Love

Goodreads Summary
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

My Thoughts
No matter how many Colleen Hoover books I read, I am NEVER ready for the emotional roller coaster I always partake in. This book is no exception. You would think that I would have been prepared since the book is called Ugly Love, but nope. It's not even like I went into the book completely blind, I didn't. I knew the main plot of the book and was impatiently waiting for months for it to finally hit the shelves. I was still not prepared. I'll bet that you won't be either.  Love is messy under the best circumstances, but under the worse it can tear you to pieces. 

I love that this book has two perspectives, but not necessarily the perspectives you thought when you first picked up the book. We get to see what Tate is going through. We see her meet Miles, avoid Miles, kiss Miles, sleep with Miles, and fall for him. The other perspective isn't present day Miles, but the past. We get to see little fragments of his life leading up to his darkness. We get to see the light before the dark rushed in. I honestly wasn't a big fan of how Miles' point of view was written. The repetition bothered me a little and forced me to read it a few times to make sure I wasn't missing something. I enjoyed the Miles chapters, but sometimes I felt myself trying to rush through them to get to the Tate chapters.

This brings me to the Tate chapters.  ... I enjoyed these characters. I understood that Miles had something going on that prevented him from opening himself up. I appreciated that Tate cared for him. I adored her relationship with Cap. What I didn't understand was what Tate's problem was. Why was she allowing Miles to treat her like a doormat?  I just don't get it. As I write this I can see myself erasing stars from my final review. Tate makes it seem okay for women to just accept that they should be treated like crap.  Miles repeatedly tells her that he feels nothing and she keeps coming back for more. Why didn't she fight him sooner? Because the sex was good? Seriously? I think the redeeming thing about these scenes was the fact that he sometimes genuinely seemed to care. He was always upfront. He genuinely did not want to hurt her. I just wish she stood up for herself. I wish she didn't just take it. For those reasons I am dropping my rating from a 4.7 to a 3.

   photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

1 comment: