Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Geography of You and Me

Goodreads Summary 
Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.


My Thoughts
I bought this book a few months back and I'm sure I read the summary then (unless I bought it online), but I had forgotten all about it. I knew it was on my shelf and it was irritating me that I hadn't picked it up yet, so the other day I did. I have mixed feelings. 

Lucy and Owen meet in an elevator and have a great connection. They quickly become friends and then they both disappear from each other's lives. Lucy is dragged to London with her family and Owen goes on a road trip with his father. Their only way to keep in touch with each other is through  email and postcards. The concept was cute and then they both met other people. Of course they met other people! That's what happens when you leave the country/state, you meet people! I just that I like my love stories to not be filled with the characters dating other people. I'm fussy like that. 

At the end of the day, this story was cute. Cute, but not memorable. 

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment