Saturday 17 January 2015

Then You Were Gone

Goodreads Summary
Two years ago, Adrienne's best friend walked out of her life. One week ago, she left Adrienne a desperate, muffled voicemail. Adrienne never called back.

Now Dakota is missing. She left behind a string of broken hearts, a flurry of rumors, and a suicide note.


Adrienne can't stop obsessing over what might have happened if she'd answered Dakota's call. And she's increasingly convinced that Dakota must still be alive.

Maybe finding and saving Dakota is the only way Adrienne can save herself.

Or maybe it's too late for them both.

My Thoughts
Another impulse buy thanks to bookoutlet (ok next review will not be a book I bought on bookoutlet lol). The cover is gorgeous and the concept seemed really mysterious and interesting.  I thought this was going to be like Since You've Been Gone, but luckily it wasn't. It was refreshingly different.

I loved Lauren Strasnick's writing style. Her sentences were short and to the point. The chapters were extremely short. Her writing helped move the story along quicker and it made me connect with Adrienne a lot more somehow.

I understood Adrienne's downward spiral. We've all had a friendship that just didn't work out. What would you do if they call you, you don't answer and then they're just gone? I know I would blame myself and my sanity would take a turn for the worst. Adrienne is a teenager so it's understandable that she isn't the cheery, attentive girl people need her to be. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I think that this is one of those books where you should go in pretty blind. I think it'll be more powerful that way.

I don't really know how to rate this one.  I loved the writing, but I don't know if everyone will agree. I really enjoyed the story, but there were slow parts where I found myself hoping for more. I enjoyed the ending and only guess like 1/3 of it.  I think you'll need to read this one and judge it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment