Tuesday 13 January 2015

Being Sloane Jacobs

Goodreads Summary 
Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.

My Thoughts 
This was yet another impulse buy thanks to bookoutlet (aka the site that sells crack to book lovers at ridiculously low prices). I had read Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill and loved it, so I was pretty sure I would enjoy this without even really reading the summary. 

When I was reading the first few chapters I wasn't really sure how the swap was going to work. Won't people realize they aren't the right people? They don't look like the right people! How could they possibly pull this off? Well with the magic of Lauren Morrill's writing, they did. Sure this would never happen or work in real life, but that's the beauty of books.

The characters in Being Sloane Jacobs, particularly both Sloanes, were well written and interesting. The two girls could not have been more different (although slightly stereotypical at times) or come from different upbringings (also stereotypical), but they managed to form a plan and build a friendship throughout this crazy experience. The friends they meet along their journey add to the entertaining plot that left me with a smile on my face. 

I think that if you enjoy young adult contemporary and The Parent Trap then you will love this.  I'm not sure I'd read it a second time, but I'm not disappointed that I read it.

   photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment