Thursday 15 May 2014

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

Goodreads Summary 
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My Thoughts
I don't think there is any other book series out there right now with as much hype as The Lunar Chronicles series and I FINALLY understand why. 

This charming play on Cinderella is better than the original. Cinder is a cyborg living with a family that cannot stand her. She is forced to work as a mechanic for them because she was adopted when she was 11 years old. Money for her work goes straight to her step-mother. For the past 5 years she has felt unloved for being forced on the family and for being a cyborg. Despite that she is one of the strongest female characters in the young adult section. 

I was hesitant at first because technology isn't exactly my expertise and I don't know much about Chinese culture, but I shouldn't have worried. The book takes places years in the future, so the Chinese culture is vastly different and the cyborg aspect is explained pretty well. 

I can't wait to see which characters appear in Scarlet. I hope Prince Kai will be there and I really hope Iko can make an appearance. Cinder could really use them both. 
 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment