Saturday 29 August 2015

You

*Sorry for the language used in this review. I felt it was necessary. If it offends you, I'm sorry. You should skip this book if you can't take the F word though. Carry on*

Goodreads Summary
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.


As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.


My Thoughts
I tried reading this book and couldn't get into it. I put it down, returned it to the library, but couldn't completely give up on it. I then heard that the audiobook was good, so I thought I'd give it a try and I am so happy I did. You became the book I listened to on my walk to and from work, during breaks, and anytime I decided to step out of the house.  I absolutely loved this fucked up book. And it is. Fucked up, I mean. You will either love this or hate it. I don't see many people sitting on the fence with this one. 

There is no question that Joe is fucked up. You quickly realize that in the first chapter.  He meets Beck and immediately locks onto the idea that she is his. He does everything in his power to stalk her. He manages to get so far into her world that she has no way out. He knows what she emails to friends and classmates, he stalks her twitter and facebook, he watches her through her window, and the more her knows her the worse his behaviour gets. 

There are moments in this book where you are so scared of Joe and what he is doing, but there are also moments where I found myself laughing out loud because of something he said or did. It's always fun to look like the crazy girl laughing to herself. I wouldn't say Joe is charming because he's too psychotic for that, but there are moments where you like him and then you immediately hate yourself for it. 

Joe isn't the only character in this that you will despise. Beck's no peach either. She is narcissistic and flaky. Her friends are uptight and controlling. Her ex Benji just uses her for sex and only really cares about himself. No one in this is likable. There are moments where you might like someone, but the next second they do something unquestionably horrible that you despise them again. This is what makes this book work! If you loved Beck than you would always hate Joe. If you hate Joe than the book doesn't work. It's genius. 

I recommend this to all the twisted people out there.

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment