Wednesday 3 June 2015

Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend (Broken Hearts & Revenge #1)

Goodreads Summary
Hot sun. Blue waves. New romances. Old secrets.

Gemma had her summer all planned out, but it takes a sharp turn when she gets dumped and finds herself back in the Hamptons after a five-year absence.

Being there puts her at risk of bumping into Hallie, her former best friends (that is, before Gemma ruined her life). But people don't hold grudges forever. Do they?

Gemma intends on making amends, but a small case of mistaken identity causes the people she knew years ago—including Hallie and her dreamy brother, Josh—to believe she's someone else. As though the summer wasn't complicated enough already.

Filled with summer sun, boys, and friendships gone sour, Katie Finn's first novel in the Broken Hearts and Revenge series sizzles and delights.


My Thoughts
I hate to admit that I could have read this MONTHS ago after getting an advanced copy through NetGalley. I just thought it was another contemporary and never got around to reading it. I had no idea, until a month or so ago, that Katie Finn is Morgan Matson's pen name. If I had known that I would have read it asap. I love Matson's writing!!

This book did not disappoint...at all. The characters were great. Gemma is a sweetheart even if she did a terrible thing when she was eleven. She may make some really stupid decisions along the way, but I genuinely think she did them for the right reasons (excluding what she did when she was eleven). Josh is a contemporary lovers dream. He is athletic and yet adorably nerdy. He loves The Princess Bride for pete's sake. I loved when he got nervous and actually flushed...so cute. Gemma's friend Sophie was a little underdeveloped, but I like where her character is headed. I think Gemma needs her. 

Although the plot was a little convoluted, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Gemma was a little dense at times, but I'd like to believe that she was just naive and in denial.   

This book left is on a major cliffhanger, but thankfully the second book Revenge, Ice Cream, and Other Things Best Served Cold is already out. Check this out if you enjoy Morgan Matson or contemporary novels in general. I highly recommend it.

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment