Thursday 26 December 2013

Ruby Red (Ruby Red #1)

Goodreads Summary
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

 My Thoughts
I adored this book. Gwyneth is an average 16 year old with a weird family who is suddenly thrown into a different time. She does what a typical teenager would do in that situation...she went to her best friend for advice. I loved that about her! It's so often that main characters just keep everything in that I was excited when she told her friend about her new life. Was Gwyneth the strongest female character I have read about? No, but I think she fared well all things considering. She is your average teenager and I think that's what I liked most about her.  

Without giving too much away, Gwyneth quickly realizes that she doesn't know who to trust. She is given so much information in such a small period of time and she isn't sure what to do. She relies solely on her instincts. Can she trust her family? Can she trust these new people in her life? Can she trust Gideon? Why is she different? We still don't know, but I can't wait to find out.

I liked this book so much that I wished it was longer. It's not a small book, but I felt like more could have happened in it. That is why I gave it only 4 hearts. I felt like the author knew that they wanted to make sequels, so they intentionally left us wanting more. That isn't always a good thing. I hope the second books gives us more answers than questions.

 photo aa-reading-owl.gif  photo aa-reading-owl.gif  photo aa-reading-owl.gif  photo aa-reading-owl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment